Sewing a Skirt

Back again!
This half term, I have done a sewing project inspired by The Great British Sewing Bee. I have sewn a skirt and this blog entry is going to be about how I got on making it.

My skirt on the floor
On Saturday, we went to a fabric shop and after browsing through various new look patterns, I decided on a pretty skater skirt. Then I had to choose some fabric which was such a hard job because there were so many different pretty patterns. At first, I decided on a pink flowery pattern on a black background. Unfortunately, the fabric was a bit stiff so I had to choose something else. I decided on a blue, red and yellow floral print. When I got home, after washing the fabric first, I started to make the skirt.

First, I cut out the pieces of the pattern that I needed. The pattern was basically a large sheet of thin paper with various shapes on it. Then, I laid the pieces down on the fabric as shown on the instructions and cut them out. I ended up with two skirt pieces and two waistband pieces. I thought that it was quite odd the way that for the waistband, you had to fold the selvedges into the middle. For those of my readers that don't know what a selvedge is, it is the side of a woven fabric that doesn't fray.

The next step was to sew on the seams. You did this by pinning the pieces to each other with the right sides together. It was important to leave a 1.5cm seam allowance. Then, as we don't have an overlocker, I stopped the seams from fraying by using zig-zag stitch on the edges. Finally I ironed the seams out so that the two sides went outwards and that was the end of that part.

Me wearing my skirt
After I had sewn the seams, I had to do the tricky bit- matching up the seams. Mum stepped in and did this bit for me as I would have found it quite hard. She put the skirt inside the waist band and pinned them both together with the right sides touching. It looked a bit odd but I realised why we were doing it afterwards. We sewed the pieces together very near the top of the skirt but then lifted the bottom of the waistband up. We ironed the seams upward and it looked like a skirt!

Then, I put elastic in. I did this by first, sticking the top of the seams to the fabric to prevent them from getting in the way. Then I folded inside part of the waistband to form tubing, I sewed it on the right edge so the elastic could fit in. After feeding the elastic through, I sewed the last bit together to stop the elastic from coming out.

The final step was to turn up the bottom of the skirt and hem it. I used a stitch called herring bone and apparently it is called this because it looks like a herring bone. However I have no idea because I have never seen one! It is a fairly loose stitch but it keeps the bottom in place. Then my skirt was done!

I hope my readers have enjoyed hearing about how my skirt went. I really recommend doing a sewing project in the holidays because it was a lot of fun!
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts