Guildford

Hello!
Recently, I have been staying in Guildford and I am going to write about what I did and how much fun I had! Hopefully, I will inspire some of my readers to go to Guildford because it really is a lovely place.

Guildford Castle
One of the places I went to was Guildford Castle. This was a historical garden with lovely grounds. I went right to the top to gaze over the 360 degree panoramic view of Guildford! It was fantastic looking around and spotting places like the river and the high street. However before I went up the spiral staircase to the top, I watched a short documentary about the history of the castle and found out that it had originally been a Motte and Bailey castle built by William the Conqueror. It was really interesting. Then we looked at the first floor and the second floor before going onto the roof. For me one of the highlights of the visit was looking around the beautiful grounds. What really astounded me was that pictures had been grown on to grass slopes by using different coloured plants. There was some writing and a picture of a soldier to commemorate the 1st World War. Also, there was a statue of 'Alice through the Looking Glass' but you will have to read up on that yourself because I have written too much already! Altogether, I thought that Guildford Castle was a fascinating place and I would definitely recommend it to my readers.

The White Garden
Another interesting place was Loseley Park which is a stately home with stunning grounds. The
house is vast and beautiful with lovely grounds. When I walked around the grounds, I loved it! The garden was split into several sections. There was the herb garden, the rose garden, the organic vegetable garden and my favourite- the white garden. This was, as you have probably guessed, mostly white flowers but it had a beautiful fountain in the middle. There were lots of sculptures around the gardens, all placed in interesting positions among plants. One of my favourites was a sculpture of a whale. The bluey-green colours looked really pretty and it was a slender curved shape. I also liked the bees that had been made out of yellow and black wire. There were three of them and they were placed sticking up on thin poles out of a group of leafy plants, a bit like tall trees sticking out of a canopy. I also liked some of the more abstract sculptures where you had to guess what they were. I really enjoyed the visit.

A Room at Hatchlands
The final place I visited was Hatchlands Park. This was a magnificent house with a vast collection of pianos! I found this really interesting because I play the piano. There were so many types from harpsichords to organs. They were all different and of many colours and there was even a piano with a drum built into the bottom. Some of them had been played by famous composers like Liszt. The pianos were really fascinating but that was not all there was! There were hundreds of portraits lining the walls in every room and in the music room they were paintings of composers. Also, the rooms were furnished as they would have been a long time ago! I found it really interesting looking at the patterns on the ceilings. In the dining room, everything was really pretty and even the plates had Scottish views upon them! It was an amazing house and I really liked the visit.

I hope that my readers enjoyed hearing about my time in Guildford. I would recommend all of the places that I went to so, if you are stuck for a weekend holiday destination, try Guildford!
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts