'Like a Girl'- an Insult or a Compliment?

Hello!
Today I wanted to write a slightly more serious blog post. I wanted to talk about how 'like a girl' is being used today as an insult.

Both boys and girls go through problems when growing up and going through puberty and one of the problems for girls is losing your confidence. Doing something 'like a girl' is seen as a bad thing and for some girls, this can make them not want to do things like sport. People shouldn't have to stop doing what they enjoy doing. Here is a short video made by Always on the topic of 'like a girl'.


I thought that this was such a powerful video because you can really see the contrast between the younger girls and the older girls opinions on what like a girl means. The main message I am trying to get across today is that doing something 'like a girl' shouldn't be an insult. Being a girl is something that people should be proud of not ashamed of. As one of the women says in the video, why can't running like a girl mean winning the race?

Just because girls are built different to boys it doesn't mean they aren't good at sport. I accept the fact that there is scientific research to prove that men are built for hunting whereas women are built for childbirth. However it doesn't mean that women cannot play sport and do the things that they want to do. 'Like a girl' shouldn't be an insult, it should be a compliment. Whatever your gender is, you should be proud of it.

So if you are a girl, the next time you are told you have done something 'like a girl', think yes I am a girl and it's something I'm proud of. We shouldn't be ashamed of who we are because we all have the ability to do something amazing, whatever gender.

I hope you found my post interesting.
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts