Chocolate Chip Oaty Cookies

Hello!
I'm back today with another baking recipe. I've had quite a stressful week so I decided to do some baking to treat myself. I decided on cookies as I haven't made them in quite a while. However I wanted a variation on the typical chocolate chip cookies that I usually make. I really like cookies with oats in them because I think they add a really nice flavour and texture. I found several recipes that I liked the look of but in the end I decided to merge a few recipes and develop my own! These cookies are soft and chewy, and the best thing is: you can add whatever flavourings or toppings you like. I'll put some ideas in the recipe. These are perfect for a mid morning snack or I suppose you could even eat them for breakfast if you make them healthy enough.

Chocolate Chip Oaty Cookies
Ingredients

  • 130g plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • A pinch of salt
  • 170g porridge oats
  • 85g butter
  • 100g light brown sugar
  • 90g granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 100ml maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 130g chocolate chips- if you don't have these, roughly chop some chocolate
You can substitute the chocolate chips for any other toppings you want. You could add dried fruit or nuts for a healthy alternative, or if you love chocolate you could add different types of chocolate! You could also mix in some seeds to add another texture. Some seeds like flaxseed have very good health benefits so they will make the cookies better for you.

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line three baking trays with greaseproof paper
  2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and oats until combined
  3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and both sugars until combined. It won't look light or fluffy because there is quite a lots of sugar compared to butter!
  4. Add the egg to the butter mixture and beat until it is smooth and evenly combined. Then drizzle in the maple syrup and the vanilla extract with the mixer on high. Then mix on a lower speed and spoon in the flour mixture bit by bit
  5. Fold in the chocolate chips/additional toppings
  6. Place small flattened balls of the mixture onto the baking trays. Leave some room as they will spread! I found it easier to use my hands for this part
  7. Place your cookies in the oven for about 10 minutes until golden brown. They may not be firm on the top but don't worry, they continue to cook after you have taken them out!
  8. Leave to cool on wire racks and enjoy!
These cookies should be stored in an airtight tin and eaten within about 4 days

I hope you will give this recipe a try! The cookies are delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts