How to Survive a Long-Haul Flight

Hello!
You may have noticed that I have somewhat neglected this blog last month. This is because I have been on holiday with my family. Two weeks ago, wheeling along my new suitcase, I set off on an exciting, fun-filled trip to the West coast of America. I arrived home yesterday and despite my jet lag, I couldn't resist logging on to my blog to write a post. I have a feeling that the next few posts are going to be travel-themed and I can't wait to share my experiences in America with you. However, today I want to share some tips on how to survive a long haul flight. Our flight was around 10 hours long so I feel like I can give some good advice!

Plan your outfit
You are going to be sitting on the plane for a long time and may also be planning on trying to sleep. It is important to wear loose, comfortable clothes that you can properly rest in. Temperature is another thing to bear in mind. Depending on the plane's air conditioning, you may well find that the plane is too hot or too cold. For this reason, I would recommend bringing layers that you can put on or take off depending on the temperature. I think that the best footwear is something comfortable that you can take on and off easily. In addition to the clothes you wear on the plane, it is nice to bring something comforting that you can put on at night time to help you to relax, for example a pair of fluffy socks or a wide scarf/pashmina that can be used as an extra blanket if necessary. If you plan your outfit carefully, you won't need to bring lots of extra clothes in your hand luggage which takes up unnecessary room.


Entertain Yourself
You may be on a plane that has  on-board  entertainment. If so, watching movies or TV programmes can be a great way to distract yourself from the flight, particularly if you are a nervous flyer. I'd also recommend listening to music or reading a good book or magazine to pass the time. On my flight, I watched films and read on my kindle. You may also want to bring a laptop or iPad with films or programmes of your choice downloaded on it. It is up to you what you decide to do, but be sure to bring something to entertain yourself with.

Freshen Up
I don't recommend doing a lengthy skincare routine on the plane, however it is nice to freshen up a little before you arrive at your destination. Things to consider taking are: lip balm, travel toothpaste and toothbrush, hand sanitiser, travel moisturiser and face wipes. You can get quite dehydrated on planes so it is important to drink plenty of water, but applying moisturiser to your face can also help to keep your skin hydrated. Remember that all liquids need to be in small containers in a sealed plastic bag when you go through security!

Sleep Well
I won't lie to you, I find sleeping on planes very hard and often don't get much sleep at all. However I have a few things that I took with me to help me get as much rest as possible. The first thing is an eye mask. I find it hard to sleep when other people are watching films on bright screens around me. An eye mask helps to block any harsh lights out. I bought a cheap but comfortable eye mask from Tiger and it was perfect. A good neck pillow can also be helpful as it helps you sleep in a comfortable position. I think that my main advice is to not worry if you can't fall asleep. Sitting and stressing about how tired you will be is not going to help you to fall asleep. Just relax and read for a while instead.

It has to be said that long-haul flights aren't the best, but hopefully if you follow my tips you can have a good time.

Comments

Popular Posts