Things to do the Summer after GCSEs

Hello!
As you may already know, I completed my GCSEs this year, therefore I am about to go into the Sixth Form. I am very excited about this, as I can't wait to have more independence and to continue my education further. This summer, I have enjoyed several lovely trips away, but I have also done some more productive things with my time. I thought that I would write a blog post about things that you should do during the summer after GCSEs.


Relax and do things you love!
The most important thing to do is to take some time to relax and enjoy yourself. You have just done GCSEs and spent so much time studying and working hard, so you deserve a break! Spend time with your friends and family, and generally just do things that you enjoy doing. I went on a lovely holiday with my friends and enjoyed relaxing by the sea. I've also loved having so much time for hobbies like music, and I've had fun meeting friends and going into town with my sister. 

Read...for fun!
I used to love reading when I was little, but recently I've found that I have been too busy to read. If I ever read a book, it would be because I needed to read it for school. This summer, I wanted to take the opportunity to read for fun again, before school starts. Hopefully I can build reading into my daily routine, so that I can carry on reading for pleasure, even when I am busy with school work. I would encourage you to find a genre that interests you and read a book for fun. Sometimes I enjoy reading books that I used to like when I was younger, for example the Twilight saga or Harry Potter, because it is very easy reading that doesn't require any effort whatsoever! 

Get some work experience
This summer is the perfect time to start thinking about your future by doing some work experience. This may sound daunting but it can actually be really fun! I've done two sets of work experience this summer. I spent a week helping in my old primary school and I also spent a week in a law firm. I really enjoyed both of these and it was very useful to find out more about the world of work. This is something that you have to plan ahead for, as many companies want applications for work experience a long time before the actual placement. It is worth applying for a few different placements, as you may well get rejected!

Do some preparation for sixth form
I don't think that the summer in between year 11 and year 12 should be spent working, but it can be useful to do some preparation at some point for sixth form. At my school, we received suggested work for the summer, but even if you haven't, have a think about what you could do to prepare yourself. This could be as simple as reading a set text or reminding yourself of some of the concepts learnt at GCSE the week before school starts. I decided to read Anna Karenina, as my teacher told me that it would be good background reading that would help with my Russian course, and some of my set texts for English. I have also been listening to my new music set works in my spare time. These are all examples of things that I have actually really enjoyed doing, but that have also helped to prepare me for sixth form at the same time.

Above all, enjoy yourself and have fun! You deserve to have a good summer.

Comments

Popular Posts