How to Get into Running

Hello!
Today's post is about something that I have taken up recently: running. This Autumn I have started going running once a week. I find running quite hard, because I'm not particularly sporty, so it has been challenging at times, however it's a great way to exercise because it's free and you can run almost anywhere. I persevered with it, and now I'd like to pass on some tips for those of you who may want to start running. My future goal is to run a 10K race one day, but for now I am working on building my stamina and fitness so that I can run for longer without stopping. I hope you find these tips helpful.

Download an app
For some people, the prospect of running can be very daunting, because they simply don't know where to start. My solution to this problem is to download an app. When I wanted to start running, I downloaded the NHS 'Couch to 5K' app and it helped me enormously. The app eases you into running by alternating between running and walking, and all the way through there is someone telling you when to run and when to walk. You don't have to plan a specific distance because the app will remind you when you are halfway through, so that you can turn around. The app helps you to run 5K in just nine weeks if you follow the scheduled runs, and I found it really helpful because the runs weren't too difficult to start with, so I felt like I was making progress.


Set a goal
I find it much easier to motivate myself to do something when I have a goal. I set the goal that I want to run the 10K this summer, and I find this goal useful because it motivates me to go out running. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend signing up for a marathon if you have never been running before, but there are various different races or fun-runs that you could aim for, such as the 5K race for life. Even if you don't think you will enjoy running, give it a go and you can raise money for charity at the same time.

Run with a friend
Running with a friend can be more fun than going alone, so I'd recommend finding a friend who lives nearby who would also like to start running. Doing something with someone else is always more enjoyable, and you can push each other forward. Also, if you have arranged to go running with a friend, it is much harder to pull out at the last minute! If you can't find anyone to run with, try joining a running group. I'm sure there is a supportive community near you that can help you get involved with running.

Plan your runs
It's useful to plan your runs, especially if you are a busy person. I'd aim to go running once or twice a week, and it's useful to have a regular time when you go running each week, so that it becomes a regular habit.

Prepare your things the night before
If you are planning to go running in the morning, I'd recommend preparing your things the night before. Put your trainers by the door and lay out your clothes so that all you have to do the next day is pull on your clothes and go out of the door.

Enjoy running!
There's no point going running if you don't enjoy it. Therefore I think it is really important to find something that you enjoy about it. Personally, I like the feeling of running and I find it helps to improve my mood and make me less stressed. I also really enjoy listening to music while I run, and I like running in pretty areas. I took the photo below when I was on a run, and as you can see, the scenery is beautiful.


Hopefully you found this blog post useful! I'd be interested to know if anyone has any other tips about running.

Comments

Popular Posts