Collective nouns

Hello!
I was thinking about what to post about and for no particular reason, I thought of a quiz question I had once done at school. It was about collective nouns of animals and I found it quite interesting! After doing some research, I thought that I would post about it! A collective noun refers to a group of people, animals or objects. However, the animal references were the ones that interested me most. The most common ones are a flock of sheep or a herd of cows but there are some much more interesting ones. I am going to pick out my favourites!

  1. A dazzle of dolphins
  2. A murder of crows
  3. A gaze of raccoons
  4. A wisdom of wombats
  5. A flamboyance of flamingos
  6. A flutter of butterflies
  7. A grumble of pugs
  8. A band of gorillas
  9. An unkindness of ravens
  10. An army of caterpillars
  11. A mischief of mice
  12. A prickle of porcupines
  13. A crash of rhinoceroses
  14. A battery of barracudas
  15. A litter of bear cubs
  16. A caravan of camels
  17. A quiver of cobras
  18. A business of ferrets
  19. A tower of giraffes
  20. A cloud of knats
There are sometimes more than one option for each animal but those were my favourites. For more collective nouns, visit:
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/collnoun.htm

Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts