Michael Morpurgo

Dear Readers,
Recently I have had the privelage to attend a talk by Michael Morpurgo. It was such an amazing experience and I will remember it for a long time. I would like to share all the moments with you!


A selection of his books
I didn't really know what to expect before the talk but I can say that I wasn't disappointed! Mr Morpurgo was a really nice person and his talk had just the right balance of seriousness and humour. He had a funny personality and was constantly interacting with the audience. It was so exciting to hear him talk about his books because he has won so many awards and written so many great books. In part of the talk he read out some of his most recent book, Listen to the Moon, where a girl is found in the ocean floating on a grand piano. She has been through a lot including seeing her mother drowning and surviving when her ship drowned. Mr Morpurgo read this book as I have never heard a book being read before. He painted images in my mind as he read so vividly that I actually felt I was there. I was transported from the assembly hall to a vibrant world of colour. I haven't had someone read to me like that before. He also said some really interesting things about books. One of his beliefs was that when an author writes a book, they are only doing half the job. The readers are helping too because they use their imagination to create the images of the book. If that didn't happen the book would just be some paper but readers help it to become a good book.

Here are some facts that I learned about Mr Morpurgo:
  • He likes writing with pens that flow because pressing down hurts his arm
  • He prefers to read non-fiction books and biographies
  • He doesn't really like fiction because he is annoyed that it is too good or not good enough
  • When he was younger he really liked the book Treasure Island
  • When he was younger he didn't like books with girls in
I hope you have enjoyed hearing about Michael Morpurgo
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts