Amsterdam

Hello!
I have recently been to Amsterdam so I wanted to write a blog post about what I did and the highlights of my trip. We visited many places and my favourites were Anne Frank's house and The Rijks Museum. I am going to do separate posts on these two places because I think they deserve their own post and I have lots I want to talk about from my trip!
We stayed in a lovely little hotel about 5 minutes away from the famous Rijks Museum. The hotel was fantastic and the staff were very friendly. We started off each day with a brilliant breakfast at our hotel. There was a huge spread out ranging from scrambled eggs to Dutch cheese! They had pastries, bread rolls, cheese, meats, scrambled egg, bacon, fruit salad, yoghurt and much more. We also got the chance to try some pancakes which they cooked up fresh for us. These pancakes were topped with caramel sugar and they were delicious! After our big breakfast, we would wrap up warm and head out into Amsterdam. It was absolutely freezing there- much colder than I expected- but luckily I had packed lots of warm layers so I didn't get too cold.

In Amsterdam, most people get around by bike which I found quite interesting because I was expecting there to be more cars. We got to Amsterdam late at night but when walking to our hotel at around midnight, there were still plenty of bikers around! There are also trams which many people use. The trams and the bikes made it quite difficult to cross roads because we never figured out who had right of way! The cyclists didn't really stop so you had to almost launch yourself out across the road quickly and hope for the best! Luckily we didn't come to any harm.

The food in Amsterdam was amazing. We sampled waffles and muffins of which both were delicious but my favourite thing that I ate was a pancake. We went to a great pancake shop with plenty of different options available. My pancake was served with whipped cream, ice cream, caramel syrup and a slice of orange on top. It was amazing! In the evenings we went to restaurants in Amsterdam and my favourite was an Italian place where I had a lovely carbonara.

There are lots of canals in Amsterdam and we went for a boat trip on the canals one day which was a lovely thing to do. I would recommend it to anyone planning on visiting Amsterdam because you can warm up a bit while still enjoying and taking in the sights of the city. The boat we were on had an English commentary so we were able to understand what was going on!

Overall, I think that Amsterdam is a beautiful city and I really enjoyed my trip there. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a holiday with lots of sight seeing and culture. Look out for my future posts on Anne Frank's House and the Rijks Museum.
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts