Valentine's Day


Hello!
Valentine's Day is coming up and I will actually be spending it in Amsterdam this year. I was wondering if they have any traditions in Holland or anywhere in the world really! I thought that I would do a post about the different traditions in different countries. I hope you enjoy it.
Japan
In Japan, Valentine's day is quite surprising actually because the traditional gender roles that you would expect are switched around. It is typical of the women to present chocolates to the men instead of vice versa. People in Japan did a campaign in the 1980s to make March 14th a day when men could return the favour with white chocolate. That day is known as "White Day".


Ghana
Although Ghana has adopted some traditions from other places in the world, they have began a tradition that I quite like the sound of- 'National Chocolate Day'. This was an act to promote tourism but it also means that museum exhibits and special chocolate-themed restaurant menus have been created for the holiday!


Philippines
In the Philippines they have a mass wedding celebration on February 14th! This occasion brings together loads of couples in big places across the country to get married in a huge public service! In 2013 roughly 4000 couples got married in 2013 on Valentine's Day.


Guatemala
In Guatemala, Valentine's Day is known as El Día del Cariño and affection for family and friends is just as important as affection for partners. There are often exciting processions and pageants with beautiful clothes and masks made of feathers.


South Africa
In South Africa, some celebrate by pinning the name of their lovers to their sleeves. This is known as Lupercalia.


I didn't find any traditions about Holland but I did find out that Amsterdam is supposed to be the number 1 destination for romantic couples on Valentine's Day this year!
I hope you enjoyed my post!
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts