Ensembles

Back again!
As you may know, I play the trumpet and consequently, I am involved in a lot of musical ensembles. I am going to write about them in this entry.

Orchestra
I am involved in two orchestras. I am going to talk about the symphony orchestra that I am in. Alongside me, there are two other trumpets and we have our own parts. The orchestra has quite a lot of stringed instruments including a harp and a double bass alongside the slightly smaller woodwind section. Traditionally, symphony orchestras don't have saxophones and ours doesn't either. We perform in concerts every so often and I really enjoy playing in it. At the moment, we are playing Jubilee Dances by William Mathias, Crown Imperial by William Walton and Down a Country Lane by Aaron Copland. Jubilee Dances consists of six movements and my favourite is the second. Crown Imperial is quite a hard piece and it is also quite long. Down a Country Lane is my favourite because I like how the trumpet part floats over the others.

Wind Band
I like playing in a wind band because you play a mixture of pieces whereas in orchestra, it tends to be classical music. Currently in wind band, we are playing a selection of songs from the movies Hairspray and James Bond. Hairspray is really fun to play because there are a lot of jazzy bits and it sounds really great put together. My favourite Hairspray bit that we are doing is You Can't Stop the Beat! James Bond is also a really fun piece to play and I think the arranger has been clever with the way the bits are linked. I like the James Bond Theme bit the best because the trumpets get the tune!

Brass Group
Playing in a brass group is really good because you don't have to worry about standing out. As brass instruments are generally quite loud, you can play loudly and not worry about being heard too loudly. At the moment, we are playing Walk On By and Careless Whisper. I was surprised that we were playing Careless Whisper because the main tune is usually played by a saxophone. I like Walk On By but some of the rhythms are a bit tricky!

I hope you have enjoyed hearing about my different ensembles.
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts