Latin!

Hi!
At school, I have Latin lessons and this blog entry is going to be about them.


Some people think that Latin lessons are boring and that there is no point in learning the language. I completely disagree. I really enjoy Latin lessons. It is interesting to know how the language has developed and how people used to speak ages ago. However, the reason that I think is most important is that it helps you to learn modern languages. Also if you don't know a meaning of a Latin or English word, the other language can help you. For example, 'scribit' means 'writes' and that is similar to scribe or scribble and they are both to do with writing.


At school I follow a book in a course called the Cambridge Latin Course as I have mentioned before. I really like the book and it is full of short stories, exercises, vocabulary and fact pages. It is a really good book and I have learnt a lot of Latin in a short time. Every other week or so, we have little vocab tests. Throughout the book there are about 16 sets of words and in class we work our way through them. Every time we take a test the teacher picks 12-15 words. I find that this really helps to broaden my knowledge of Latin words. My class comes up with some very odd ways of remembering the words. For instance, 'fur' meaning 'thief' is remembered by imagining a thief stealing a fur coat! A further example is 'reddit' meaning 'gives back' is imagined as if someone has read it and is giving it back. It being a book from the school library!

"Latin is easier to learn than English and French!" is what our Latin teacher said at the beginning of our first lesson. We all believed her because she gave these examples of why. In Latin there are no accents. There are NO capital letters apart from names. Verbs end in t so they are easy to spot. However our teacher didn't mention tenses. We are studying that at the moment and we have to learn loads. We thought it was just past, present and future but there are more! In the past tense you have the perfect and imperfect tense. If there is a v near the end of the word, it is the perfect tense and is translated by has or have ...ed. The imperfect tense has ba near the end and it is translated as was or were ...ing. It is really confusing as you can have lots of different endings as well. For the word 'spectat' can be: specto, spectas, spectant, spectamus, spectatis, spectabat, spectabas, spectabamus, spectabatis, spectabant, spectaverunt and many more.


I would like to know if any of my readers like Latin or have a comment!

Bye!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts