The Great British Sewing Bee

Hello!
Today I am going to recommend a show on TV that I watch. It is called The Great British Sewing Bee and this blog post is going to be all about it.

The Sewing Bee Contenders 2014
The series is a little bit like the Great British Bake Off so if you liked that, this might be a show for you. There are three challenges but instead of baking cakes, they have to sew items which are usually items of clothing. Their garments are judged by May Martin and Patrick Grant. The first challenge is all about following a pattern to make something. The people get to choose their fabric from the haberdashery- a room full of fabrics of all sorts. I like this challenge because it really shows up the skills. The second challenge is when they have to be creative. They are given one or two garments of simple clothing that you could buy on a high street. The sewers then have to transform it, using any spare materials of their choice, into an impressive garment. This is probably my favourite challenge because you
Sewing Bee Judges
get a wide variety of results. Finally, in the last challenge, they have to make a made to measure item of clothing. They have models for the clothes and they have to take measurements. This is the only challenge where they can practise at home because they have no idea about what they need to make for the other challenges.

To give my readers a taste of what they have made this series, I am going to write about some of my favourites. For the first challenge, I particularly liked when they made children's dungarees, pleated skirts and anoraks. In the second challenge I liked the children's fancy dress costume and when they had to transform a man's suit to a garment for a woman. Finally, in the last challenge I liked when they made the prom dresses for teenagers and the velvet trousers for themselves.

To finish the episode, like the bake off, someone is rewarded but instead of star baker, they chose the garment of the week. I think that this is really nice because there is more things to chose from. Also, someone leaves the sewing bee which can be sad but without it how would they find a winner?

I really recommend the show and if you are interested in clothes, fashion or sewing I am sure you will like it. I hope some of my readers try watching it. It is available on iplayer or BBC2 on a Tuesday evening.

Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts