Composing

Back again!
Today I am going to do a musical post about composing. I do a lot of composing at school in my music lessons and I have taken it up at home as a hobby. I am going to talk a bit about why I like composing and hopefully include one of my own compositions. For some reason I am having problems inserting pictures on my blog. If any other bloggers are having this problem please could you tell me how I can fix it or give some advice!

I love composing because there is a certain amount of freedom that you get. You can do what you want and be creative with your ideas. Also music shows lots of emotions and you can tell a story through your music which is what I have tried to do in one of my compositions. When I am composing, I use a software called Sibelius which is one of the best programs to use. That is what my school has too. I used to use a program called Musescore which was still good but I find the playback part of Sibelius better because the instruments sound more realistic so the harmonies are easier to hear.

One of my recent compositions is called 'A Spiritual Journey' and it was for my RS lessons. We had to create a piece of art or music on a theme. There were 5 themes but I chose a spiritual journey. I tried to tell a story through mine. I am going to try to attach a clip of my composition but it might not work so here is some information about my composition:

When people think of enlightenment, they often think of Buddhism and becoming like Buddha but this isn’t how I see it. The definition of ‘enlighten’ is ‘give greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation’. I believe this means that a figure, God for example, will enlighten you about how to lead your life at the highest point of your spiritual journey. The spiritual journey can be many things but in my music, a Christian is being led through their life by God. I am unsure about how this feels but I have tried to show my thoughts in my music.

It starts in a minor key with a depressing sounding melody. This symbolises unhappiness on Earth, for example war. The occasional flute note is God watching over the earth because the flute’s pitch is high and God-like. I think the rhythm of the chords go well with the melody to create a sad effect. The next section is partially the same melody but played by the flute with additional notes in some places. The spread chords in the left hand of the piano symbolise the person reaching up to God for help. This section is God getting involved and helping out the sad person. The next sections are all the same chord pattern with the melody changing and the notes gradually becoming higher. This is the main part of the journey and the development symbolises this. The next section switches to a major key so from C minor to Eb major. There is a pivot chord which is a good turning point and then there is a fast, bright melody with rich chords underneath. This is to symbolise the highest point of the journey because the person has been enlightened by God and is knowledgeable of how to lead a good life. Then, there is a pause on a mysterious chord which leads the key back to C minor again. The first, slow melody is repeated but the piano’s right hand has a quaver rhythm which sounds like it is being pushed. This is to symbolise another person needing help but being impatient. There is a build-up of chords which ends up with a minor chord, as if hope has been extinguished. I think the main message is that a spiritual journey requires patience.


I would be interested to know if any of my readers have tried composing. Please leave comments.
Bye!


If you try this link https://youtu.be/VUNGhWvuKIIit will hopefully take you to the composition!

Comments

Popular Posts