The Hunger Games

Hi!
I have been doing lots of reading over the holidays and I have just realised that I haven't blogged about any of the books so the next couple of posts will be about what books I have read. This post is about The Hunger Games series but it will mainly focus in on the first book.


Katniss (the main character) at the reaping
This isn't the first time I have read the series but I decided to revisit the book because I think it is amazing. Susanne Collins is such a good author and instantly got me hooked on the book. I had heard a lot about these books but hadn't dared to read them because I had been warned that I might not like the subject matter. It is true that the concept isn't very nice. I won't spoil it too much for anyone that hasn't read it but it does include a lot of killing and death. I decided about 3 years ago that I would give it a go. I have memories of getting out my kindle whilst camping to begin the book and very soon I could not be dragged away. To me, the first book of the hunger games series was probably the first time I had felt such a connection with a book and such a desire to keep reading it. The book has been described as a page turner and I think that word sums the book up for me. I had very soon finished the whole series. Since then, films have been produced and right now my friends and I are eagerly awaiting the release of the final film in November. Over the years, I read the series again and now a third time.

The films of the hunger games are very popular for movie nights so I have seen them quite a few times but for me there is nothing better than the book. One of the reasons why I like it so much is that the characters are easy to imagine so you really feel that you are there in the arena. It is a book that I would really recommend.

In the next part of this blog post I am going to talk about the book in more detail. If you haven't read it I would recommend not reading this section because it may spoil the book for you. Also you will only understand fully what I am talking about if you have read the book.

The first time I really felt sorry for Katniss was when she was saying goodbye to her family and accepting the fact that she wouldn't ever see them again. At that moment you can really empathise in her and think about how hard it would be for her. The books for me are more about love and connections between people rather than the killing itself. Katniss's journey to the capitol and the time she spends there are both very well written parts of the book. All the small details of the luxuries add up to a stunning big picture and have a huge contrast to the dull lifestyle you learnt about in District 12. This part of the book has similarities with things that go on in real life. For example the differences between the two lifestyles relate to difficulties we have with different religions, appearances and cultures. You think of the capitol and wonder how a person could indulge in all of that when they know how other people are living. To be honest, that is what a lot of people are doing today. Also the tributes were being made up for the cameras, it reminded me a bit of the photo shopping that gets done these days. The fact that she had to look absolutely perfect for people to like her is horrid but then that also happens in real life.

Then, the book takes you to a completely different world: the arena. This is the most dramatic and intense part of the book for me. You forget completely about what is going on elsewhere in the districts and are focused on willing Katniss to survive. Any person would admire her courage and skills and she was the one that I wanted to win. One of the reasons why I like the film is that it gives views on what is happening in District 12 and also a spectacular image of the gamemakers. After reading this book I thought a lot about how the gamemakers would control that sort of thing and the film produced an excellent view on that part.

Overall I think that it is an absolutely amazing book. I don't know if it has received any awards but I really think that it deserves some! I would love to know what you think about the books or the films. Leave comments!
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts