Christmas

Back again!
The festive season is coming again so I thought that I would do a Christmassy post! I am going to write about the festive traditions that I have and what Christmas is like in my house. I will also include some fun facts along the way, Christmas related of course!


One of the first things that I think about when someone mentions Christmas is Christmas trees. They play a big part in my Christmas traditions. We bought our tree last weekend and we decided to go for quite a fat one with lots of branches. We always go for the same colour scheme and it is quite a traditional one! We always do red and gold tinsel and baubles. However I have seen all sorts of different colour decorations on different people's trees including pink, blue and orange! I have also noticed that tinsel is going out of fashion. This upsets me because I love seeing tinsel on a tree but the new trend is lights and baubles.  We have always put lights, baubles and tinsel on our tree and that is a tradition that I don't want to stop. I love Christmas trees but in the past few years I have been getting ill around Christmas time and I have a suspicion that I might be allergic to Christmas trees! Apparently this is quite common and that fake Christmas trees might be the way forward but I don't want to swap because I love Christmas trees!
Did you know: The average Christmas tree contains about 30,000 bugs and insects! Uh oh!


One of my Christmas traditions is that on December 1st, Christmas music can be played as loud as possible on our speakers by the first person that wakes up. That first person is usually me because I have to wake up the earliest to get to school. I love Christmas music and I never get bored of it. From 'Silent Night' to 'Santa Baby' there is a huge range of Christmas classics. For a long time, Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas' has been the ultimate favourite Christmas song but now the new favourite is 'Fairy tale of New York'. My favourite is still 'All I Want for Christmas'.
Did you know: The earliest known Christmas tree decorations were apples! At Christmas time, medieval actors would use apples to decorate paradise trees (usually fir trees) during “Paradise Plays,” which were plays depicting Adam and Eve’s creation and fall.


On TV right now, almost all of the adverts are about Christmas and I have had big debates with my friends about which one is the best. All the big supermarkets have put together good adverts and I am going to talk about some of them. I am going to put them in order of how many views they have had on YouTube.
8. Asda. Asda's advert was on the theme of 'Because it's Christmas' and it included things like putting up lights and watching 'The Snowman'.
7. Lidl. This advert was out 54 days before Christmas so pretty early. However, its 'School of Christmas' couldn't quite build momentum.
6. Aldi. Aldi used a Sound of Music tune for its advert and it was Aldi Favourite Things. It listed reindeer on rooftops and brandy cream pouring, bright coloured stockings and open fires roaring among its favourite things, showing off its Christmas wares, including foil wrapped Chocolate Santas and champagne in the process.
5. Tesco. Tesco released a series of 4 adverts so the number of views was taken as an average of the 4 adverts. All four had different themes – the gluten-free Christmas, the Tesco Finest range, the party food shop and the final shop.
4. Aldi. Aldi released a second advert- a spoof version of the popular John Lewis advert. However despite the attempt to mimic John Lewis, it didn't score highly enough to beat the rival supermarket.
3. M&S. M&S released an advert that tried to teach us about the art of Christmas. It used the upbeat music of 'Uptown Funk' but didn't manage to beat John Lewis.
The John Lewis Advert
2. John Lewis. They produced a really cute advert and tried to go down the emotional route. The advert featured a little girl who saw a man living on the moon through her telescope. It was a very good advert but it wasn't able to beat the winner...
1. Sainsburys. Sainsburys won with a sweet advert. It was a big hit because it included 'Mog', a character from a very popular children's book. This advert was also my favourite!

I hope that you liked my blog post about Christmas!
Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts