Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Pancakes

Hello!
Today I am back with a recipe! Yesterday I had my last GCSE exam so my friends and I ordered pizza afterwards to celebrate. We planned to eat quite early in the evening, so I deliberately planned to have a big brunch at around 10:30am, rather than lunch, so that I had room for the pizza! I knew that I wanted pancakes, and when I went into the kitchen to make them, I discovered half a pot of raspberries. This inspired me to make dark chocolate and raspberry pancakes. They were delicious! I made a simple batch of American-style pancakes but while they were cooking I sprinkled over some dark chocolate chips. I then made a raspberry coulis to serve them with. I think that the combination of chocolate and raspberries is always a winner!


This recipe is very simple to follow, and before long you will have perfect fluffy pancakes to eat. I think that pancakes are ideal for brunch or a special breakfast. Although I made a chocolate and raspberry version, you could experiment with any flavours that you like! The coulis can be made with different fruits and you can add different things to the pancake batter. For example, you could add thin slices of banana to the pancakes while they cook and serve with a strawberry coulis. The options are endless, so get creative!

Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Pancakes
Ingredients- serves 3 moderately or 2 generously
For the pancakes:
  • 170g self raising flour
  • 25g caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 medium egg
  • 200ml milk
  • 1 handful dark chocolate chips 
  • Vegetable oil
For the raspberry coulis:
  • 100g raspberries plus a few extra for decoration
  • 2 tsp icing sugar- add more or less depending on how tart your raspberries are
Method
  1. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, egg and milk into a measuring jug and beat until smooth and combined. You could use a food processor for this
  2. Heat up a pancake pan or large frying pan and wipe with a small amount of flavourless vegetable oil
  3. Pour small dollops of batter onto the pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips. When you start to see little bubbles, flip the pancakes. They should be a golden brown colour. When cooked, transfer to a plate and cover with a tea towel while you cook the remaining pancakes
  4. While the pancakes are cooking, heat the raspberries and icing sugar on a low heat in a small pan until the raspberries go mushy and release their juices, and all the sugar is dissolved. You can add a small amount of water to help this, but your coulis will be more runny. Remove from the heat and if you want a smooth coulis, strain through a sieve
  5. Assemble the pancakes in a stack on a plate and drizzle over the raspberry coulis. 
  6. Decorate with fresh raspberries and enjoy!
Let me know if you give them a try!

Comments

Popular Posts