GCSE Exams: My Experience

Hello!
I can't believe how quickly time has flown by but somehow I am already at the end of my GCSEs. My last exam is this afternoon and then it is all over. I can't believe it! It's such a strange feeling knowing that after tomorrow I don't have to revise anymore, because I have spent the last two years of my life preparing for these exams. My last exam is further maths and after that, I'm looking forward to doing some work experience and going on holiday with my friends. I thought that I would share how my exam season has been and what my thoughts and feelings have been along the way, along with some general advice and tips for how to cope with exams, and some summery pictures to lighten the mood!



It seems a very long time ago that I first walked into that exam hall, clutching my see-through pencil case and water bottle, to sit my very first exam of the season. I remember being very nervous about it, but the experience wasn't completely new to me, as I sat a GCSE last year. It can feel quite intimidating when you sit down at your desk and look around you. I think that at this stage, it is really important to stay calm and make sure you are comfortable and have everything that you need. I like to arrange my things on the desk so that I can be writing in the best, most comfortable position. For me, this means putting my pencil case and other things to the left hand side of the desk. I do this so that I can move my paper as far right as possible, as I'm right-handed so this makes it more comfortable for me!



Something that I wish I had realised before I started exams, is that everything is easier with study leave. Normally, I'll get home from school at around 5pm and I find it tricky sometimes to find themotivation to work, as I'll often be tired and just want to collapse in bed. On study leave, you suddenly have a lot more time and for me, everything seems much more manageable. One thing that I would recommend is planning everything that you want to get done in the day. Study leave is great, but it is easy to let yourself become distracted when surrounded by the comforts of your home. Write a list of the tasks that you want to complete each day, aiming to be productive but reasonable. Make sure you schedule some time to rest and relax too!



There is always going to be an exam that you found more difficult, but I think it's really important to not get too frustrated about questions that didn't go so well for you. After the exam has finished, try not to talk to too many people about how they found it. When I came out of one of my Chemistry exams, I thought the exam had gone really well until I spoke to my friend who made me realise that I had completely misinterpreted a whole question. This made me feel really frustrated with myself, and this is why I think it is best to leave as quickly as you can and not talk to too many people. The exam is in the past and there is nothing that you can do to change the outcome so there is no point worrying about it. After an exam, I like to go home and stop revision for the evening. Obviously if I have an exam the next day I would revise, but if you can, I would recommend having some time to relax after a stressful exam.

I hope that you found my post interesting and I'd be interested to hear any advice that you would give about exams and how to handle them. Good luck to any of my readers who are still doing exams.



Comments

Popular Posts