Night Before an Exam

Hello!
It is currently exam season and I am in the middle of my GCSEs. I thought it would be nice to write some tips about what to do the night before an exam because I feel that it is really important to look after yourself and do the right amount of revision. Exams can be really stressful and daunting but with the right preparations, you can manage your stress and make them more enjoyable. I understand that exams aren't generally associated with enjoyment, however I think that it is important to be optimistic. An exam is just an opportunity to show the examiner everything that you have spent the past few years learning. So, here are my suggestions for what to do the night before an exam.

Revision
It's important to do some revision the night before an exam because you need to refresh your memory and to make sure that you can do your best in the exam. I think that active recall is the best revision to do before your exam. Reading through your school notes isn't going to be very helpful. You need to do something active that tests your knowledge. I like to start by flicking through all of the past papers or tests that I have done. Make a list of the topics that you particularly struggled with. Then focus your revision on these topics. If you have made flash cards or mind maps, look over these and familiarise yourself with the content. Then get a blank piece of paper and give yourself five minutes to write down everything you can remember in a mind map format. After this you can look back at your revision material and add the information you missed in a different colour. Try quizzing yourself on topics that you find difficult. BBC Bitesize has lots of great mini tests for GCSE science content. I also find Quizlet really useful for languages as you can easily test yourself on vocabulary. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it is active and not just reading or highlighting.



Relaxation
Revision is necessary, but I can't stress highly enough the importance of taking some time to relax before your exam. Revising all evening is going to make you stressed and you won't feel comfortable the next day. Plan a time when you are going to put your things away and stop revising. If you have had the whole day to study, you can stop earlier, but I understand that if you have had an exam that afternoon, you might need to revise a bit later into the evening. Make sure that you can spend some time on something that will relax you and take your mind off the exam, whether this involves going for a walk, having a bath, listening to some music, doing some exercise or playing the piano.



Packing your bag
I'm really not a morning person and I hate waking up early. For me, it really helps to get everything ready the night before so I don't have to worry about anything the next day. Some exams require specific equipment like a calculator, protractor, periodic table etc. I also like to check all my pens are working as some subjects like English require a LOT of writing! If you are in the sixth form, plan your outfit and lay out the clothes that you want to wear. I also like to plan what I want to do the next morning, for example I pack flash cards or a mind map to read over before the exam. Don't plan lots to do, but it can be comforting to have something to read or to be tested on before you walk into the exam.



Sleep
My final point is about getting a good night's sleep. This is something that I find really difficult if I am stressed or worried about something, but there are things that you can do to help yourself sleep. Firstly, go to bed on time and don't spend all night working! Remember to set your alarm if your exam is in the morning. I think that the best thing you can do is turn your phone off and leave it alone. I know it is tempting to look at it but it is important not to look at a bright screen before you go to bed. If you feel anxious about the exam, try to reassure yourself that everything will be fine. Visualise a positive outcome- imagine that the question on that paper is about your favourite topic. I sometimes use an app called Stop Breathe & Think to calm myself down. The app asks you how you are feeling and selects a meditation/mindfulness audio based on your mood. This can help to distract you from your worries and to help you sleep. My final tip is to stop worrying about not sleeping. There's nothing worse than lying in bed, panicking about how tired you are going to feel the next day. Try to stop thinking about this and remember that you will fall asleep at some point.

So, those are my suggestions about what to do the night before an exam. I hope that you found it useful, and for anyone who is currently taking exams, I hope that you are doing ok. Just think about what an amazing summer you will have when all the exams are over! 

Comments

Popular Posts