5 Top Tips for Setting Up a Blog

Hello!
Today I thought that I would post some top tips for anyone out there who wants to start a blog. If you follow my tips, you will have a fabulous blog in no time!

Tip #1- pick an interesting topic
Before you start a blog, you need to think about what you are going to blog about. You can either do a specialized blog on a topic of your choice (for example photography, pets, holidays, technology, a subject...) or you can do a more general blog like mine about things that interest you. If you are looking for your blog to be popular, look for a gap in the market- something people will be interested in. If you are stuck for ideas think about what you are passionate about, something you love doing or a skill that you have.

Tip #2- choose an good name
This tip is about naming your blog. When naming your blog, think about what makes your blog special. Think about what makes it unique compared to other blogs. When naming my blog, I used the word 'notes' because I wanted my blog to be full of lots of little notes about different things. I also used it as a musical reference because I love music. The LA part is something that those close to me will know about. You need to link the title of your blog to what your blog is going to be about.

Tip #3- pick a good layout and colour scheme
Once you have a blog set up, you need to start thinking about the layout and design. There are lots of features on blogger or on other blogging sites to help you with this. Explore different designs until you find something you are happy with but don't spend too long adjusting how it looks. You can always come back and change things later on. When picking a colour scheme, think carefully about what would appeal to you and your target audience. Make it colourful but not too colourful. Sometimes, slightly more unusual colour combinations can look quite sophisticated. I decided to go for a floral pattern because it looks bright and colourful.

Tip #4- choose some widgets
Widgets are things that you can add to your blog. For example blog archive, google+ badge and popular posts. Take a look through the list of widgets and see what you want on your blog. There are lots of really good ones there.

Tip #5- write good posts
Your aim should be to keep people on your blog. To do this, you need engaging posts with correct grammar, interesting styles and variety. Aim to do different things with different posts. For example, use subheadings on one post, use bullet points on the next. Include plenty of pictures and pick a variety of topics so there is a post which will satisfy everyone.

Once you have followed these tips, the only further tips I have are enjoy yourself and blog responsibly! I'd love to see any new blogs so if you want me to have a look at your blog, leave a comment or email me.
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts