The Great British Bake Off- Series 7 Episode 1

Hello!
This is the second post I have written about the Great British Bake Off (click this link for that post) and I have also written about the Great Sport Relief Bake Off (click this link for that post). However, the much loved Bake Off television series has returned for the seventh time so I couldn't resist doing another post about it! The first episode of the new series hit our screens on Wednesday. This series, like all others, began with cake week. This is possibly my favourite week because the treats look so tempting! This week saw the amateur bakers tackle the challenges of drizzle cakes, jaffa cakes and mirror glaze showstoppers.

Jane- the star baker
The signature challenge was to bake a drizzle cake. Of course, the traditional drizzle cake is flavoured with lemon but Mary and Paul were looking for something unique. Nadiya, last year's winner, was in charge of baking a birthday cake for the queen and she decided on an orange drizzle cake so I thought that this challenge was quite fitting! The bakers were quite inventive with their flavour choices; the drizzle flavours ranged from gin to yuzu- a citrus fruit somewhere in between a lemon and a lime. Andrew, one of the younger bakers, experimented a bit by adding rosemary to his cake. The technical challenge- my favourite- was to make a batch of jaffa cakes. Jaffa cakes are a family favourite for us so we were very intrigued by this challenge. My mum decided to give them a go herself and they were delicious! In this challenge, there were no major disasters but one baker did put the sponge the wrong way up! The showstopper challenge was a mirror glaze cake. Some bakers achieved a beautiful shine but some were less successful! My favourite cake was Selasi's, although he didn't get a very good shine. He baked a raspberry and white chocolate mirror glaze cake and it looked so tempting! Mary and Paul awarded Jane with 'Star Baker' and I think they made a good choice because her showstopper was amazing! Lee left the tent this week.

I hope you enjoyed my summary of this week's episode!

Comments

Popular Posts