The Olympics

Dear readers,
You cannot have failed to notice that at the moment, the 2016 Olympics are happening in Rio. The games are on the TV, in the paper and on the radio so wherever you are, I'm sure you will have heard all the gossip! Whether you love long jump, are crazy about canoeing or rowing rocks your boat, there are so many sports that there is something for everyone. When pondering possible blog topics, the Olympics instantly came to mind and I thought, why not? I have done a bit of research into the Olympics and I am also going to talk about some of my favourite events.

Zeus
The Olympic Games first started a long time ago in about 776 BC in a place called Olympia in Greece. The reason they started was to honour the king of the gods: Zeus. They would happen once every four years as part of a religious festival and they were hugely popular for people all across Greece.

The first Olympic Games was only one day long and it consisted of just one event. This was a sprint from one end of the stadium to the other. As time went on, more events were added to the games. For example: javelin, chariot racing, discus, wrestling, boxing and jumping events like long jump. If you won, you were awarded a wreath of leaves and you would be welcomed with ceremonies when you arrived back to your home town.

Nowadays, there are 42 events in the Olympics! My favourites are diving and gymnastics. I particularly like the synchronized diving from the 10m board and enjoyed watching Daley and Goodfellow achieve their bronze medal. The gymnastics is always entertaining because of the wide variety of events. In particular, I love watching the floor routines and the beam routines and I think that the men are just as entertaining to watch as the women.
The Olympic rings are commonly used to represent the games but did you know that the rings represent the five major regions of the world: Africa, America, Europe, Asia and Oceana! Every single national flag of the world includes at least one of the five colours of the Olympic rings.

I hope you enjoyed my post!
Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts